From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Brownstein
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:19 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Two kinds of religious exemption arguments

Sorry. My mistake. My post was focusing on statutory accommodations because
RFRA has been the focus of most of the recent discussion on the list. Eugene is
quite right that the case for an analogy to family relationships is stronger
for statutory accommodations.

But there is some basis for analogizing the constitutional protection and
accommodation of religious liberty to the protection and accommodation of
family relationships. I don't want to overstate the point here, but the Court
does discuss freedom of intimate association in Roberts and suggests that such
associations might be exempt from anti-discrimination laws. Such cases rarely
come up because statutes do not attempt to subject intimate associations such
as families to anti-discrimination laws. But I assume that a family could
assert a family/intimate association exemption should it be subject to
anti-discrimination laws in various social settings.

Moore v. City of East Cleveland also requires in a sense a family exemption
from zoning laws.

One might also argue that the right to marry protects the ability to form a
family and marry the person one loves, even though doing so imposes costs on
third parties. Cases like Zablocki are not necessarily cost free. A divorced
father owing child support who starts a new family may have less resources
available to support his earlier family.

Finally, some, but not all, of the debate about same-sex marriages could be
characterized as a debate about providing constitutional protection to gay men
(or lesbians) who love each other and want the state to recognize and protect
their mutual commitments and the responsibilities they accept that arise from
those commitments. Many argue that constitutional law requires states to
accommodate the love, commitment and loyalty of same-sex partners who seek to
be married notwithstanding state law that only permits marriages between one
man and one woman. I must admit that I have never understood the argument that
such marriages impose costs on third parties or the general public. But
clearly, many people believe that such costs exist. Would proof of some such
costs, however modest they might be, justify denying same-sex couples the right
to marry? Or would we insist that it should require a showing of very, very,
high costs before we would allow a state to refuse to acknowledge!
  and accommodate the right of two adults who love each other and are committed
to caring for each other to marry.

Alan