See

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1073407

Of course, if a statute incorporates a constitutional test that, according
to the Court, had required it to do things no article III court could do --
which is one reading of Smith, namely, that application of the
Sherbert/Yoder test was beyond the judicial ken -- then the statute is
unconstitutional for having borrowed the constitutional "test."

That was, as I recall, Marci's reading of Smith -- and not an unreasonable
reading, given Scalia's rationale.  But I think it fair to say that the
Court rejected that reading of Smith -- and of the Court's own alleged
institutional disability -- in Cutter, and implicitly in O Centro.