approach they have in these cases has made me more sensitive to some of the
potential costs of RFRA.

Eduardo

On Feb 14, 2014, at 6:52 PM, "Rick Garnett"
<rgarn...@nd.edu<mailto:rgarn...@nd.edu>> wrote:

From: Rick Garnett <rgarn...@nd.edu<mailto:rgarn...@nd.edu>>
Date: February 14, 2014 at 5:42:42 PM MST
To: "Levinson, Sanford V"
<slevin...@law.utexas.edu<mailto:slevin...@law.utexas.edu>>
Cc: "religionlawp...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlawp...@lists.ucla.edu>"
<religionlawp...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlawp...@lists.ucla.edu>>,
"conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu>"
<conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu>>
Subject: On implausible burdens

Dear colleagues - Today's lively traffic regarding Judge Posner's and ND's
lawyer's performance (I think Judge Posner did not behave well) and the (redux)
plausibility of ND's claim that the HHS mandate (as modified, in ND's case)
imposes an unnecessary and substantial burden on religious exercise within the
meaning of RFRA (I think the RFRA claims are strong) makes me think that the
following blog post, by our colleague Alan Brownstein, is well worth a read and
reflection:

http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2014/02/prof-alan-brownstein-on-this-terms-religious-freedom-cases.html

Some on this list have shared their view that ND's claim is implausible, or
disingenuous, or insincere, or incoherent, or insane, etc. and, clearly, most
of us are not sympathetic, even if we are open in principle to religious
accommodations.  Alan's post - which, as one would expect, is fair, charitable,
and thoughtful - is (among other things) an invitation to law-and-religion
folks to use the Town of Greece and HHS cases as an occasion to ask ourselves
why we sometimes dismiss as insubstantial (or worse) claims of religion-related
harm or burdens on religious exercise that we do not understand or that we are
not willing to accommodate.

I admit:  I am probably as mystified by the hostile reactions of those who are
mystified by ND's claims (which doesn't mean I think the ultimate question is
easy) as they are by those claims.  I have long been underwhelmed by the
allegations of injury in religious-symbols cases.  And, I regard the notion
that ND's claims are - in a world where one's irritation at the prospect that,
somewhere, a disadvantaged kid is using a voucher to attend a parochial school
amounts to a standing-creating wound to conscience - bizarrely outside the
realm of possibility (or worse!) as,well, bizarre.  But . . . Alan's post is a
powerful one and - like Larry Solum would say - "highly recommended."

Best, Rick

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 14, 2557 BE, at 3:38 PM, "Levinson, Sanford V"