I genuinely do appreciate the respect.  I have been gratified by the
surprisingly large number of encouraging private messages I have received from
people of different views politically and about the value of artificial
contraception.

So I feel somewhat churlish in saying this, but I don’t see that Marci’s
message is responsive to mine.  Surely she does not mean to suggest that a
university’s track record of addressing sexual violence has an empirical
correlation to its position on the use of artificial contraception.  And I
don’t find any support for such a suggestion in the literature or her article.
Indeed, reading Marci’s linked article, I find nothing that suggests an
educational community’s decision to affirm young women and men in treating
sexuality as a sacred gift and not to distribute contraception could somehow
lead to sexual violence – indeed, the word “contraception” does not appear in
her linked article at all.  Nor does she discuss any university or college that
advances the Catholic Church’s integrated teachings about human dignity and
sexuality, much less consider the distinctly feminist character of the voices
of Catholic professional women that I described.

Moreover, as a leader in faculty governance and working directly on sexual
assault policies on the university campus, I see nothing in the sobering
statistics and episodes around the country supporting a policy conclusion that
making contraception more available on a college campus is the answer to end
sexual assaults.  We cannot so easily avoid engaging with that problem.  The
problem of sexual violence on college campuses of all kinds and types – public
and private, elite and regional, religious and non-religious, Catholic and
secular – must be addressed directly and not avoided based on presumed
categorizations.  It deserves to be directly addressed with clear policies,
support systems, and reporting requirements.

Greg Sisk

Gregory Sisk
Laghi Distinguished Chair in Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minnesota)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923
gcs...@stthomas.edu