Based on the briefs and oral argument in Hobby Lobby, one thing is already
clear: Professor Laycock's contention that the public meaning of RFRA can
be discerned by examining the congressional debates over RLPA has had a
notable impact. Not only did Paul Clement invoke the argument in Hobby
Lobby's merits brief, he then explicitly directed the Court to Professor
Laycock's amicus brief during oral argument for the proposition that it
"could not be clearer that [Members of Congress] understood that
for-­profit corporations would be covered."

Prior to oral argument, I offered an initial critique the RFRA/RLPA
legislative-history argument in an essay for Vanderbilt's Hobby Lobby
roundtable, and Professor Laycock addressed that critique in his piece
below. Given the potential importance of the RFRA/RLPA argument to the
disposition of the case, my second-round contribution to the roundtable
continues to explore the issue:

*The Public Meaning of RFRA Versus Legislators' Understanding of RLPA*
http://www.vanderbiltlawreview.org/content/articles/2014/05/Oleske-Response.pdf

More broadly, I recommend to folks all of the essays in the Vanderbilt
roundtable, which include excellent contributions from Rick Garnett, Fred
Gedicks, Andy Koppelman, and Greg Magarian:

http://www.vanderbiltlawreview.org/enbanc/roundtable/sebelius-v-hobby-lobby-stores-inc/

- Jim