Suppose the courts hold in favor of Little Sisters/Notre Dame, and whoever
else might object to the certification requirement (including, I guess,
Hobby Lobby, if the agency takes the Court's invitation to offer a similar
accommodation to for-profits. (As has been noted, the *Hobby Lobby *decision
may not make such a future holding likely, but it certainly does not
foreclose the possibility.)

What could the government then do to ensure coverage of these forms of
contraception (short of covering them directly, which seems politically
untenable)?

Four example, could it promulgate a rule as follows:

   - An employer that declines to provide such coverage for religious
   reasons must alert employees;
   - any employee may then file a form with the federal government (or the
   insurance company) attesting that the employer's plan will not cover the
   relevant contraception;
   - this notification from any employee then triggers the requirement that
   the insurance company provide coverage at no cost to all employees covered
   by the plan.

Would this satisfy these religious employers? The difference between this
and the current certification regime is that the employer doesn't file
anything with the government; it merely provides information to the
employees. Any employee can then decide what to do with that
information--i.e. whether or not to file for coverage.

I understand that this imposes an additional burden on at least one
employee at the company to file the form. (And this rule is not what I'd
prefer.) But as a practical matter, it would provide an avenue for the
contraceptive coverage, and I imagine that some watchdog group could help
employees navigate this.

--
Hillel Y. Levin
Associate Professor