Steve Jamar wrote:

> [1] How about owning stock in companies that
make and sell contraceptives? They had to sign a contract to do that.

> [2] The distance between doing the improper thing -- selling, paying
for, using contraceptives -- and buying general health insurance with
coverages mandated by the government is attenuated sufficiently for me.
However, I understand how one can rhetorically manipulate these matters
as Prof. Dane (and I) have done. And that is fully fair game and 5
justices agreed with one rethorical approach and 4 did not. 5 thought
religion under RFRA should trump the other values (as a matter of
statutory interpretation); 4 did not.

Point 1 simply confirms that we
all draw have to draw lines of causation and moral responsibility
somewhere, and those different lines will be embedded in a variety of
discourses and grounded in a variety of different assumptions.

As to
point 2, I don't think that "5 justices agreed" with Hobby Lobby's
conclusions about causation and moral responsibility. They simply, and
correctly, accepted them as religious views. It's as if Hobby Lobby had
just said, "for religious reasons, we can't sign a document that alludes
to 'Plan B, Ella, or intrauterine devices.' It's just something about
those words."