Good morning,

In reviewing the Hobby Lobby decision, and particularly its extent, I
can't help but wonder how far this decision goes.  While much of the
focus is on the contraceptives themselves, it seems like Hobby Lobby
may be to particular contraceptives as Employment Div. v. Smith was to
peyote.

While the majority claims the decision is narrow, the circumstances
seem very broad. Here there is a closely-held corporation with 13,000
employees whose owners object to providing insurance that makes
available contraception to be prescribed by a physician and where the
actual usage will never be known by the owner (and indeed there's no
scientific consensus as to whether the contraception causes abortion)
as it is protected by HIPAA.  Anything within that range would seem to
be fair game.

Certainly a closely-held corporation with 5,000 employees might object
(under this decision I no longer need to qualify this by saying that
the owners do the act since the will of the corporation and owners are
one and the same, right?) to directly providing same-sex couples with
federally mandated benefits, right?

And then we enter what appear to be uncharted waters where you have a
potential Title VII case brought by a religious employee (of Religion
A) who claims that she is being discriminated against by the religious
secular corporation (of Religion B) and the EEOC takes the case as
what we could consider to be a co-plaintiff.  Could the corporation
defend itself against the EEOC by claiming RFRA? Would the Corporation
defeat the Individual employee?

Apparently the Circuits are split in whether RFRA can be used a
defense in private suits (see the following Virginia Law Review note
by Shruti Chaganti -
http://www.virginialawreview.org/sites/virginialawreview.org/files/343.pdf
), and I'm wondering if Hobby Lobby will be used the same way.

Michael Peabody, Esq.
Editor
ReligiousLiberty.TV