If that were Wheaton's position, why would it be celebrating a decision
that explicitly says "[n]othing in this order precludes the Government from
relying on this notice, *to the extent it considers it necessary*, to
facilitate the provision of full contraceptive coverage under the Act"?

Whether or not Form 700 actually served as a legal trigger to facilitate
coverage, the written notice approved by the Court is clearly a trigger to
facilitate coverage, and Wheaton has raised no objections to that written
notice. That would seem to indicate that Wheaton's objection has less to do
with the triggering effect of notice and more to do with the details of the
notice. Cf. Wheaton Reply Brief at 9 ("Whatever the right answer—trigger or
no trigger, facilitating or not facilitating—the undisputed fact is that
Wheaton has a sincere religious objection to executing the Form [700].").

I agree that many people would struggle to see a difference between Form
700 and the written notification scheme crafted by the Court and embraced
by Wheaton College, but I presume the difference has to do with degrees of
separation. Wheaton College apparently believes signing and sending Form
700 directly to insurance issuers is more directly connected to the
ultimate provision of contraceptive coverage than signing and sending a
notice to the government, which in turn notifies the issuers of their
obligations.

Update: I just saw Mark's post, and he captures the position I assumes
Wheaton holds as follows:  "[W]hy should I have to tell a private person
that the govt is restricting my religious liberty, where the result will be
that the private person must then take an action that I consider to be
evil? In a sense I would be inviting that private person to sin, with
resulting damage to that person. (Cf. 1 Corinthians 8, and Matthew 18:6.)
The connection is closer than if I simply send a notice to the govt."

Again, other nonprofits may draw different lines -- including the line
Marty posits of conditional objection to notifying the government, and the
line of objecting to any written notice whatsoever -- and one question is
when the prospect of so many different lines renders it impracticable for
the government to administer numerous alternative notice schemes and allows
it to instead adopt a uniform scheme that may not be equally satisfactory
to all.

- Jim