The justices are woeful historians — but this is understandable given that our
discipline is rhetorical, not truth-based.  We are trained to find support for
our positions and to push that support and the inferences from it as far as we
can to support our conclusions.  The justices, in their opinions exemplify this
all the time — not only with history, but as Sandy rightfully points out, with
facts and data and beliefs about how things are and how they work.  And let’s
not talk about expert testimony and statistics.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause
and reflect."

Mark Twain