One interesting question is whether situations like that in Coeur d'Alene
-- even assuming they are not adequately addressed by constitutional
protections for freedom of association and freedom of religion -- are best
addressed statutorily through (1) the definition of "places of public
accommodation" or (2) religious exemptions from antidiscrimination laws.

With respect to option #1, although statutory protections have long since
supplanted the common law as the primary vehicle for protection against
discrimination in places of public accommodation, it might be helpful to
consider the scope of the common law rule. Even under the broader of the
two leading understandings of the rule -- that it is triggered when a
business serves the public generally, regardless of the type of business
involved -- the rule would not apply to ministers who provide for-profit
wedding services unless those ministers serve the public generally. So, the
Las Vegas Elvis Chapel chaplain that generally takes all comers may be
covered, but a minister whose wedding business is inherently selective
would not necessarily be covered. It could be viewed as an analog to, or a
perhaps subset of, the "public accommodation"/"private club" distinction.
The law has long distinguished between public restaurants, which are
covered, and selective private clubs that may nonetheless charge members
for food and drink, which are not covered. It may be the case that some
current statutes and ordinances are written more broadly than even the
broad understanding of the common law -- and thus cover businesses even if
they don't hold themselves out to the public generally -- but that still
leaves the question of whether the better solution is a more careful
definition of "public accommodation" or separate exemptions.

Of course, the serving-the-public-generally/serving-select-individuals
distinction will not be sufficient if either (a) one feels that presiding
over a wedding is a unique service that -- even when performed for-profit
and generally offered to all comers -- it should not be covered by
antidiscrimination laws (though, consider the Elvis chaplain who does not
want to perform interracial marriages), or (b) one feels that presiding
over a wedding *as a religious minister *is such a unique service that --
even when performed for-profit and generally offered to all comers -- it
should not be covered by antidiscrimination laws (though, consider if two
members of the Restored Church of God in Ohio were to operate a business
akin to the "Hitching Post" business in Coeur d'Alene, marry over 35,000
couples like the Hitching Post ministers, but refuse to perform interracial
marriages pursuant to their longstanding and sincere religious belief that
God intended the races not to inter-marry).

- Jim