All:
Please pardon the interruption and allow me to request any recommendations for
a good resource on the current status of the law relating to public
accommodation non-discrimination laws and how those laws have addressed
religious liberty concerns.  Here is the context:

On Monday, the City of Charlotte went through a significant debate regarding a
proposal to add certain protected classes to the City's non-discrimination
ordinance, including the addition of the following categories: "marital status,
familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression."
There was significant public reaction to the proposal (both for and against -
indeed, there were over 120 speakers who spoke on the proposed ordinance
amendment over the course of 4+ hours).  Among the concerns raised was the fact
that the proposed ordinance did not contain any exemptions or accommodations
for (a) religious charitable and educational organizations who may be deemed to
provide certain "public accommodation" services (e.g. Catholic Charities) or
(b) for individuals / business owners for whom participation in a same-sex
marriage ceremony would violate their sincerely held religious beliefs (e.g.
the Coeur d'Alene litigation).  At the end of the evening, the Charlotte City
Council voted 6-5 against passage of the proposed ordinance (although it
appears the ordinance failed to pass primarily for reasons other than the
concerns about religious liberty).
The issue is going to continue to be discussed and debated in Charlotte for
some time, and I am certain it will be put back up for vote before the City
Council in the not too distant future.  There are individuals in the community
who have expressed an interest to better inform themselves on the state of the
law in this area (i.e. what are other cities and states doing, what kind of
religious accommodations have been granted, what are the status of lawsuits
dealing with religious exemptions to such provisions, etc.)

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to some good reading material
that would provide a good overview of this area.  Feel free to email me any
recommendations offlist at willes...@yahoo.com.

Best regards,
Will
 Will Esser