Most states have a co-religionist hiring exemption for organizations with
religious purposes, akin to section 702 of Title VII.  A few have narrower
co-religionist exemptions, limited to jobs with religious duties of some kind.
From my reading of Utah law when this story arose last week (I have not
re-checked), the answer from Rose Saxe of ACLU re: breadth of Utah exemption is
correct.

Sent from my iPhone