The Supreme Court hadn’t decided Hobby Lobby yet, but several federal appeals
courts (including the 10th Circuit in the Hobby Lobby case) had already ruled
in favor of corporations wanting to exclude contraceptive coverage from their
insurance policies, and in the process adopting extremely broad understandings
of federal RFRA. So there was certainly concern (well-founded, as it turns out)
that the Supreme Court would rule in favor of Hobby Lobby and that it would do
so in a manner that vastly changed what most people thought they were
supporting in 1993.

Gregory M. Lipper
Senior Litigation Counsel
Americans United for Separation of Church & State
(202) 466-3234 x210

On Mar 27, 2015, at 2:15 PM, Ryan T. Anderson