Good questions, Will. Let me start with the last point and work backwards. I
have no doubt that actions can be extremely expressive. And the action of not
obeying what one considers to be an unjust law can send a very powerful
message. But for free speech purposes, these actions are not protected speech.
The draft resister who refused induction to protest the Viet Nam war goes to
jail. The religious person who refuses to pay taxes  to support what he or she
considers to be immoral conduct may be sending a message too but they are still
subject to sanction. The religious proponent of segregation who refuses to
serve an African-American patron in his restaurant to express his commitment to
racial hierarchy can be sued for doing so. If any of these people communicated
their message of opposing the government’s  policies with speech, but did not
refuse to comply with a legal obligation, they would be protected by the First
Amendment.

As you say, in the wedding photography case, the dignitary harm is tied to the
reason the wedding photographer is refusing to provide services to the same-sex
couple. But the defendant’s motive is often an important component of a law
that protects people against dignitary harm and it will clearly be relevant to
the sentence or damage award. Not all contact between one person and another
constitutes a battery, for example. Intent is necessary and the reason why the
contact occurs will often help to determine whether it is offensive or not.

I understand that my examples involve affirmative conduct that causes dignitary
harm. I think one can argue discrimination in operating a place of public
accommodation is affirmative conduct as well. If the base line is serving
everyone, singling out members of a particular class for less satisfactory
service or no service has an affirmative conduct dimension to it. But I take
your point that refusing to serve a gay man or an African-American woman  is a
decision not to engage in conduct. But I’m not sure why this distinction makes
a difference. I appreciate the religious liberty value assigned to the wedding
photographer’s decision, but I have never differentiated between religious
obligations that prohibit a person from doing something (don’t work on the
Sabbath) and religious obligations that require a person to do something (smoke
peyote in a religious ritual). I can come up with hypotheticals where the
dignitary harm caused by a refusal to so something is greater than the
dignitary harm resulting from affirmative conduct.  If both are unlawful and
both cause dignitary harm, why should we differentiate between the two or treat
a claim for religious exemption more favorably in one case than the other.

Alan