From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Ira Lupu
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2015 10:51 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Eugene's Blog Post on Liberals and Exemption Rights

Mark and I agree on fewer legal premises than he thinks.  Yes, the wedding
photographer creates art.  And I'm sure that the best wedding caterers,
planners, florists, and bakers also have artistic elements in their work.  So
what?  Davey O'Brien created political theater when he burned his draft card;
his actions could be regulated because they threatened legitimate state
interests (in an orderly selective service system), independent of their
communicative content.

I think the concept of hybrid rights is made up hooey.

I don't draw lines based on art vs. non-art.  I might draw lines, for free
speech purposes, based on the communicative character of the business covered
by public accommodations law.  Regulating the content of newspapers and films
seems much more troubling than regulating the content of food presentations in
restaurants.  So I am tempted, but only a little, by Jim Oleske's suggestion on
this list that certain predominantly communicative trades -- photographer,
videographer, free lance writer -- be removed from the coverage of public
accommodations law entirely.  I am not at all convinced that the First A
doctrines of compelled speech require this, but I can see how First A
expressive values support this move, if the coverage is narrow.

I strongly disfavor covering these or any other trades with public
accommodations laws while simultaneously granting exemptions to religious
objectors, either explicitly or through a RFRA balancing test.  The assurances
that Tom Berg and Doug Laycock give, that the only successful RFRA defenses to
discrimination will be in same sex wedding cases, are politically self-serving,
totally unreliable, and objectionable on their own terms.   If weddings get
special treatment, then anniversary parties, children's birthdays, etc. may
follow. (Cf. the doctors who refuse to provide infertility treatments to
lesbian couples; those are real cases, not scare hypotheticals.)

And who among us knows when other religious exemptions will be sought and
gained -- re: Muslims, Jews, Hispanics, immigrants from certain places, etc.?
Today's intense culture war will fade, and tomorrow will bring a new one.

The hardest questions for me, and I don't see a whole lot of discussion on the
list about these, are the exemptions for religiously affiliated non-profits.
Are they all ministries, to be left unregulated?  When government funded?  When
government licensed? These are not merely speculative questions -- see the
Indiana RFRA fix, and see

http://www.irfalliance.org/hidden-restriction-on-faith-based-organizations-in-vawa-reauthorization/

​.​

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Scarberry, Mark <mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu