Gov. Jindal's office announced today that he will support newly proposed
legislation in Louisiana that would give businesses the right to refuse to
provide marriage-related services and benefits for religious reasons (see
my message below for more details and background on the proposal).
Meanwhile, the sponsor of the bill has indicated that he might modify it so
it does not apply to employee benefit programs.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/bobby_jindal_will_support_loui.html
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/religious_freedom_bill_altered.html

At this point, I'm not sure a bill like this would be politically feasible
in any state outside the context of a tradeoff (e.g., exemption included in
new law prohibiting sexual-orientation discrimination in the marketplace),
but if it is, Louisiana would seem to be one of the most promising venues
for supporters. Gov. Jindal will be very motivated to make it happen given
his target demographic in the Presidential primary, and according to at
least one recent poll, the state has the ninth lowest support of same-sex
marriage in the nation.

It will be interesting to see if the NFL takes a stand on the bill
(Louisiana has hosted 10 Super Bowls).

- Jim

When asked about the Indiana RFRA on Meet the Press today, Gov. Jindal said