My apologies to Michael for the delay in answering the question he asked of
Chip and me earlier about Gordon College. I'll be honest, the Gordon
College situation was not on my radar, and now I think I know why.

Last October, the College issued a statement that "[c]ontrary to recent
media reports, Gordon’s accreditation is not in jeopardy, as its admission
and employment policies have always been in full compliance with the NEASC
Standards for Accreditation and with nondiscrimination employment law,
which has been in place in the Commonwealth since 1989." In covering the
statement, Christian publisher OneNewsNow (American Family News Network)
further reported that the college's spokesman "attests that the NEASC is
not pressing Gordon College to make concessions when it comes to upholding
its Christian heritage and behavioral standards."

The College's statement appears to have ended most news coverage of the
matter, but the story continued to generate commentary. For example, in a
January National Review piece entitled "The Persecution of Gordon College,"
David French wrote that the accrediting agency had sent Gordon the message
that "[y]ou have one year to choose between your conscience and your
accreditation." Thus, French wrote, "[f]or Gordon, the death penalty now
looms." This characterization of the situation is mighty hard to square
with either (1) Gordon College's own representation of the situation back
in October or (2) the President of the Council of Christian Colleges
statement this March that "We knew all along that Gordon's accreditation
was not at risk."

Again: "We knew all along that Gordon's accreditation was not at risk."
>From the President of the Council of Christian Colleges.

As for Bob Jones, I think it is really difficult to read that opinion as
anything other than a decision to treat racial discrimination in education
as a sui generis category for the reasons Chip has given. Based on that
uniqueness, the Court was willing to (1) accept an IRS interpretation that
almost certainly would have been rejected if it concerned any other type of
discrimination and (2) reject a free exercise claim by a nonprofit
religious institution that likely would have succeeded at the time if any
other type of discrimination had been at issue (e.g., sex or religious
discrimination). As I said in my earlier message, I'm skeptical that the
current Court would defer to a new interpretation of the statute by the
IRS. And though several people have responded by expressing suspicion that
the Administration has designs on changing the interpretation (a suspicion
I do not share), nothing I've read so far makes me any less skeptical that
the Court would be willing to accept such a new interpretation. That leaves
Congress, which is not going to strip religious institutions of tax-exempt
status anytime soon, if ever.

It seems to me that the actual conflicts that are likely to arise in the
coming years will be similar to the ones that have already been arising,
most of which have involved for-profit enterprises, but some of which have
involved non-profits (e.g., the New Jersey pavilion case). From my
perspective, most of the solutions to these conflicts are best found by
looking at how we have -- or have not -- accommodated similar religious
claims in the past. In the past, we haven't made religious exemptions to
civil rights laws in the for-profit realm, but we often have done so in the
nonprofit realm.

- Jim