Please allow me to use Michael's final question as a way of turning this
thread back to its original topic--namely, whether a decision for the
petitioners in *Obergefell* would have any *legal *impact on religious
colleges and universities that adhere to the view that same-sex marriage is
immoral.  I think it won't, basically for the following reasons:

1.  Even today, several institutions, such as Notre Dame, (at least
nominally) prohibit their students from engaging in extramarital sex at
all; but very few purport to treat LBGT students differently from straight
students in this regard, or to otherwise facially discriminate on the basis
of sexual orientation.  That is to say:  There remains some such
discrimination at some schools . . . but not much, and the exceptions will
become even rarer over time, for reasons wholly independent from legal
compulsion.

As to those rare schools that do continue to discriminate . . .

2.  It will be a while (if at all) before Congress amends Title IX to
prohibit recipients of federal funds from discriminating on the basis of
sexual orientation.

3.  And if and when Congress does amend Title IX, I think it is almost
inconceivable that it would not retain the current exception in 1681(a)(3)
for "an educational institution which is controlled by a religious
organization if the application of this subsection would not be consistent
with the religious tenets of such organization."  Therefore, there won't be
any threat of a federal funding cut-off.

4.  Moreover, as long as Title IX continues to include 1681(a)(3)--whcih it
will--I can't imagine the IRS ever even considering withdrawing tax-exempt
status from a school entitled to that exemption, if for no other reason
than that it would be on very weak statutory grounds in doing so as long as
Title IX expressly exempts such schools.  (By contrast, recall that in *Bob
Jones*, the Court stressed that Congress already had, in Title VI and
"numerous [other] enactments since then," established a categorical public
policy forbidding racial discrimination in public and private schools.)