     434-243-8546

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Marc Stern
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 9:44 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics

In Smith v Jefferson County Bd. of School Comm'rs, 13-5957,decided yesterday
by the Sixth Circuit,, the concurring judge(Judge Batchelder) said flat out
that "We do not grant monetary damages for violations of the Establishment
Clause." No authority is cited for that proposition ,other than  a remark
that EC relief is "equitable in nature. " I know that other courts have
awarded such damages, although with the exception of one 10th Circuit case,
I  don't know of any published opinions. Is Judge Batchelder right about
this claim? I understand it will often be difficult to prove or quantify
such damages, but I don't see a blanket rule against them.

Marc D. Stern

General Counsel

AJC

212 891 1480