Any thoughts on this story?  A variant of this issue - though as to
nonreligious speech - has also come up at times in other places, see, e.g.,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/01/05/high-school-teams-allowed-to-practice-in-slogan-bearing-shirts-i-cant-breathe/
 .  I assume the GHSA would be a state actor, under Brentwood Academy,
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2890003226740495113 .  Georgia
doesn't have a state RFRA, and Georgia courts haven't considered whether the
state constitution's religious freedom clause should be interpreted to follow
Sherbert / Yoder or instead to follow Smith.

Eugene

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/12/455766673/high-school-runner-disqualified-after-3rd-place-finish-for-headband-with-writing

A high school runner was disqualified after finishing third in the Georgia
cross-country AAAAA state championship race for wearing a headband with writing
on it.

John Green, a senior at West Forsyth High School, ran the race wearing a white
headband with a Bible verse written on it. After the race, he was disqualified
for a uniform violation. Though the school appealed the disqualification, the
Georgia High School Association has said the decision will stand.

Now a discussion is taking place about the fairness of the rule and its
enforcement, unnecessary bureaucracy, and even religious freedom.

The GHSA released a statement disputing the series of
events<http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/47404814-story> and saying the decision
to disqualify Green was a matter of uniform code only.

"First, let's be completely clear that this disqualification had nothing to do
with what was written on the athlete's headband. The fact that it was of a
religious nature did not enter into the decision whatsoever.

"Also, despite published reports to the contrary, the athlete and his coach
were informed before the start of the race that the headband in question was
illegal and could not be worn during the race.

"After being informed that the headband was illegal, the athlete removed the
headband and the meet referee assumed he would run the race without it.
However, at some point after that, the coach and the athlete made the decision
to ignore the warning and the headband was put back on. Since the athlete then
ran the race with apparel that had already been ruled illegal, there was no
choice but to issue a disqualification."

It also included a quote from the referee who disqualified him:

"I was called to the start line by the clerk concerning the headband. It was a
white headband with large black letters written on it. The coach said he could
turn it inside-out and make it legal. He did so, and the writing was still very
visible. The rule said the item had to be unadorned except for a logo, and this
clearly was not the case. I told the coach and the athlete that he could not
wear the headband during the competition. The athlete took it off - neither the
coach nor athlete were happy - and I left. When I got back to the finish area,
I noticed the athlete had a white headband on. So, when I saw him come down the
finish hill, I went inside the finish corral to watch him finish, and he had
the same headband on. I told the timer to DQ him, I paged the coach, and told
the coach of the disqualification."