Well, I'm sure glad I asked about this case -- this has been a wonderfully
provocative and informative thread, thanks!

A few reactions and further questions:

1.  I'll start with the Establishment Clause.  First, let's assume for the
sake of argument (and to clarify our analysis) a counterfactual, namely,
that this were a classic religious exemption:  On Mondays, Wednesdays and
Fridays from 9:15 to 11 a.m., and on Sunday afternoons from 2:45 to 4:45,
the Bedford pool is open only to women who have *religious *objections to
co-ed swimming.  Would that violate the Establishment Clause?

Most of the discussion here has focused on harm to those who would not be
able to use the pool during those eight hours of the week.  But that's
putting the cart before the horse.  Under governing doctrine, a
religion-only accommodation is ok only if it alleviates a significant
state-imposed burden on religious exercise.  Are the orthodox women
significantly burdened by the city's general rule that its pools are open
to the public at large?

Of course, that's a classic baselines dilemma.  On the one hand, one might
say:  Yes, because their access to a very valuable and universally
available public benefit is conditioned on their willingness to violate a
religious injunction.  Cf. *Sherbert*.  On the other hand, a city does
not *have
to *offer free swimming pools in the first instance, and such a gratuitous
"benefit" is a whole lot less important than the unemployment benefits at
issue in *Sherbert*.  Many people can and do fail to take advantage of
public pools, and their lives are not dramatically diminished as a result.
Unlike in *Sherbert*, the offer of this benefit is very unlikely to induce
anyone to violate religious injunctions.  Or, to put it slightly
differently, the "benefit" itself is access to a *public *pool (akin to a
public park or other place of public accommodation); orthodox women simply
wish that the city were also offering a *different *benefit, i.e., access
to *women-only *pools; and the failure of the state to offer that
alternative benefit cannot be viewed as a significant state-imposed *burden
*on religious exercise.

*If *the "correct" answer is "yes, opening the pool to the public at large
does significantly burden orthodox women's religion," *then *we would need
to address--to weigh--the harm to the other NYC residents who are excluded
during the eight hours.  But here's the interesting point (to me, anyway):
 It's difficult to disaggregate the two assessments of "harm" on either
side of the balance.  If you think that there is no significant harm to the
orthodox women in not being able to use the pool *at all*, then, almost by
definition, there wouldn't be any significant harm to the excluded
residents in being closed off from swimming for eight hours a week.  The
exemption might still be unconstitutional in such a case, because of the
absence of state-imposed harm to religion; but that wouldn't be because of
harm to third parties.  If, by contrast, you think that the rest of the
Bedford residents are materially harmed by being excluded for eight hours,
then wouldn't you have to concede that the state has harmed the orthodox
women by imposing a condition that makes them unable to enjoy the pool at
all?  In the latter case, with harm on both sides, the harm to the women if
the exemption is denied would appear to be greater.  And therefore *if *a
"balance" of harms were relevant to the EC equation (concededly a
contested, and complicated, assumption, and one I am not necessarily
endorsing here), the harm to the women presumably would outweigh the harm
to other residents.

2.  OK, but, as several of you have noted, Bedford isn't the classic
accommodation case.  The exemption in question is not religion-specific --
on its face it benefits all women, whether they have a religious objection
or not.  Because of this, I agree there's a strong presumption that there's
no Establishment Clause problem, regardless of third-party harms.  Indeed,
expanding exemptions so that they are not religion-specific has long been
viewed as a way to *avoid *EC problems, even though such expansions
increase the harm to third parties.  Think of Justice Harlan's explanation
of the tax exemption in *Walz*; or the Court's expansion of the
conscientious exemption law in *Welsh *to avoid EC concerns.  The most
common example of this in recent years is vaccination laws:  Whereas a
purely religious exemption would likely violate the EC, most states allow
exemptions to any parents who have religious *or other *objections, and
that eliminates the constitutional problem, even as it increases the harm
(and idiocy) of the exemption.  Other examples:  Texas could have cured the
EC problem in *Texas Monthly *by expanding the exemption to secular
magazines.  Most abortion "conscience clauses" (e.g., affording physicians
the right to refuse involvement) also are not limited to religious
objections.  Etc.  This makes sense, because legislatures will seldom be
willing to expand exemptions in this way -- but when they do, the EC
problem (generally) disappears.

3.  This does not mean, however, that the religious impetus for the
exemption is necessarily irrelevant to constitutional analysis.  For one
thing, as Chip emphasizes, this might be a *de facto *religious exemption,
gerrymandered so that almost all of the benefited women are orthodox Jews.
 (NYC does not provide single-sex hours to all the other millions of women
in the city.)  In which case, we'd need to "apply" *Kiryas Joel*.  Which is
complicated.

4.  More provocatively, perhaps, I think that the religious impetus for
even a non-religion-specific "women-only" exemption might have a bearing on
the *Equal Protection *question.

Let's assume, *arguendo*, that Eugene is correct that it would be
constitutional for NYC to provide single-sex swimming hours for *both *sexes.
 (I'm dubious, but willing to concede the point for the sake of argument.)
 Even so, I think even Eugene would agree that providing such a benefit
only to women, and not to men--as NYC has done here--is *much *more
difficult to justify, because it is so manifestly based upon, and
propagates, the sort of "women have more of a need for modesty" stereotypes
that are constitutionally problematic (at best).

NYC's *justification*, in response to the EPC claim, would presumably be
"we don't have any particular view about women's distinct needs for
modesty; but we were doing this to accommodate an Orthodox Jewish
community's particular views about the proper sex roles of women."

Wouldn't that justification be inadmissible, even if NYC vociferously (and
truthfully) denied that it shared or endorsed the views of the orthodox
community?  To be clear:  I'm not suggesting that such a justification
would be inadmissible *because *the community's objection is religious, but
instead because "accommodating religious views that are off-limits to the
state itself" is not an adequate justification for the state's own
sex-based discrimination.

Does that sound right?