I agree with Marty that there is an interesting and important question
lurking in Stormans -- "whether [and when] the FEC requires a religious
exemption due to the presence of a single secular exemption, even if
religion is not singled out" -- but I'm not sure it's buried quite so far
down in the weeds of the case as Marty indicates. As I read it, Section
III.B. of Justice Alito's dissent raises precisely this issue by relying on
a single exemption, albeit a different one than the one Marty discusses
below.

Putting aside whether the Stormans case is an appropriate vehicle at this
stage for resolving the breadth of the Smith/Lukumi selective-exemption
rule, I think the issue is cert. worthy, as it has pretty clearly resulted
in a circuit split:

Compare Blackhawk v. Pennsylvania, 381 F.3d 202, 211 (3d Cir. 2004) (Alito,
J.) ("The categorical exemptions in 34 Pa. Cons.Stat. Ann. § 2965(a) for
zoos and 'nationally recognized circuses' likewise trigger strict scrutiny
because at least some of the exemptions available under this provision
undermine the interests served by the fee provision to at least the same
degree as would an exemption for a person like Blackhawk."),
with Axson-Flynn v. Johnson, 356 F.3d 1277, 1298 (10th Cir. 2004) (*Smith*
's “individualized exemption” exception is limited, then, to systems that
are designed to make case-by-case determinations. The exception does not
apply to statutes that, although otherwise generally applicable, contain
express exceptions for objectively defined categories of persons."), and
Thomas v. Anchorage Equal Rights Commn.,165 F.3d 692, 701–02 (9th Cir.
1999) ("Underinclusiveness is not in and of itself a talisman of
constitutional infirmity; rather, it is significant only insofar as it
indicates something more sinister.") (quoting Lukumi, 508 U.S. at 547)
(emphasis added, internal citations omitted), vacated on ripeness grounds
on rehearing en banc, 220 F.3d 1134 (9th Cir. 2000).

- Jim