I have been struck this week by how almost all of the pro-state discussion
of Trinity Lutheran has focused on the problem of discrimination by state
funded churches (i.e., why should taxpayers fund activities from which some
are invidiously excluded?).  It's as if we (academics as well as informed
journalists) have all forgotten the origins and justifications of
no-funding rules.  Madison's Memorial & Remonstrance, the classic defense
of such rules, is certainly not concerned with discrimination by recipient
churches.  It is, rather, focused on other policies that justify separation
in funding matters -- religious voluntarism (not forcing taxpayers to
subsidize faiths with which they disagree or agree); the danger of church
dependence on the state; mutual corruption of church and state that
financial relationships might produce, etc.. As John Ely wisely wrote, the
Establishment Clause is a separation of powers provision, and the same is
true for the state constsitutions' no-funding provisions, including
Missouri's.
Of course, times have changed, and the state now provides many more forms
of largesse, including funds for safe playground surfaces. So we can argue
about whether it is wise to relax state-based no funding rules (the 1st A
rules have already been relaxed to some extent), or whether it is fair to
exclude churches from some forms of largesse. (No one is excluding them
from police and fire protection).  My point here is that the Madisonian
understanding of church-state separation, and the no-funding rules that
followed, has been largely lost.  Maybe that's because the fight, so
prominent from the mid-19th century until relatively late in the 20th
century, about funding Catholic schools has long been over. Maybe our
collective forgetfulness about the Madisonian narrative is also about the
expanded welfare state, where religious communities play a huge partnership
role.  Maybe we now have full confidence in religious pluralism and the
unlikelihood of sectarian discrimination by the state, though the
continuing experience of Muslims and Native Americans in the U.S. should be
a cautionary note on that one.
All I know for sure is that the conversation has changed.  Not even
Justices Ginsburg, Sotomayor, or Kagan seemed up to the task on Wednesday
of maintaining continuity with that tradition.  When the no-funding
tradition is reduced to a formal rule -- the state cannot write a check to
the church -- it will soon disappear in the face of countervailing legal
and political pressure.
And I must add that the idea that the Free Exercise Clause, as *an original
matter*, entitles houses of worship to equal treatment in state funding
arrangements seems spectacularly unpersuasive.  So let's see what our new
Justice, the self-proclaimed orginalist, says (or agrees with) in Trinity
Lutheran.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Alan E Brownstein <aebrownst...@ucdavis.edu
> wrote:

> I think the question Michael poses is more complicated than his posts
> suggest in important respects, but I also think the dischordant rights
> argument he presents has substantial force.
>

> From an analytic perspective, because religion implicates not only liberty
> values but group and identity values, and speech values, I think there are
> cases where religion may need to be treated differently than non-religion
> and situations where it should be treated the same as non-religion. But
> equality and speech consequences present powerful counterweights to the
> idea that religious institutions should as a general matter receive special
> exemptions from general laws because of their distinctive nature while at
> the same time be eligible for government grants and largess on the same
> terms as their secular counterparts.
>

> From a policy perspective, I might rephrase Michael's question this way
> (my apologies Michael if my rephrasing does not capture your meaning), If a
> pre-school operated by an adjacent church should be conceptualized as
> religious for the purpose of evaluating claims that 1. unlike its secular
> counterparts, it should be permitted to discriminate on the basis of
> religious belief and conduct in hiring staff -- including playground
> monitors; 2. unlike its secular counterparts it should be permitted to
> discriminate on the basis of religious belief and conduct in admitting
> students -- even if most of what the students do is to play on the
> playground; 3. unlike its secular counterparts it should be provided
> additional discretion in designing its curriculum, and 4. unlike its
> secular counterparts, it should be protected against certain burdensome
> land use regulations -- then why shouldn't the pre-school be conceptualized
> as religious for the purpose of determining its eligibility to receive
> government funds.
>

> Finally, from a political and rhetorical perspective, based solely on
> anecdotal evidence (but that includes a lot of talks to a lot of lay
> audiences and various advocates and advocacy groups for a lot of years) I
> suggest:
>

> Few arguments have been as effective in my discussions with progressive or
> secular audiences in arguing for distinctive treatment (e.g.
> accommodations) for religious individuals and institutions as the argument
> that the distinctiveness of religion is recognized and taken into account
> for establishment clause purposes and concerns in limiting government
> funding of religion.
>

> The unwillingness of progressive or secular groups to accept
> accommodations and exemptions for religious institutions increases
> exponentially when the religious institution receives government funds --
> and the rejection of accommodations reaches its zenith when the government
> funds support the very activities for which an accommodation is sought. An
> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
301-928-9178 (mobile, preferred)
202-994-7053 (office)
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg