Unless there has been some recent change in IRS policy that I don’t know about
and that Marty does not suggest, the Amendment is not limited to “express”
endorsements. The IRS jawboning, which is its only enforcement effort,
describes many things that it views as implicit endorsements, such as voter
guides that focus on issues of concern to the church, or comparisons of
candidate positions to church positions. These are summarized in the CRS report
he links to.

There is an ambiguity at the end of the paragraph that begins “notably.”
Contributions to the 501(c)(4) would not be tax deductible. Creating the
501(c)(4) would not change the status of the original 501(c)(3).

The DC Circuit in Branch Ministries upheld the Johnson Amendment as applied to
political expenditures. The hard issue of cost-free endorsements in sermons was
not presented.

Is there any reason to think that the IRS is pursuing cost-free endorsements by
secular non-profits? If not, there is no discrimination to trigger Marty’s
Establishment Clause argument about current enforcement policy. I have never
seen any account of such a case against a secular non-profit.

The real problem with what Marty anticipates from the EO is this: Since the IRS
already has an implicit policy of non-enforcement with respect to cost-free
endorsements, the only possible effect of the EO is to direct non-enforcement
with respect to political expenditures of money. And that would open up an
enormous loophole in campaign finance regulation and in the rule that political
expenditures are not tax deductible.

A House Subcommittee is holding hearings this morning on the bills to repeal or
amend the Johnson Amendment.

Shameless plug: I wrote about the Johnson Amendment here:
https://www.christiancentury.org/article/dont-repeal-johnson-amendment-fix-it

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434-243-8546