Okay, I’ll bite.  I don’t have firm views yet on this.  My questions below all
go to the “front end” of the analysis.  And I get the distinction between a
court’s engaging in its own (God’s-eye?) analysis of whether a practice is
important to a religion simpliciter/in the abstract and a court’s asking
whether a RFRA claimant herself regards an exercise of religion as important to
her.

Question 1: What is the (semantic? logical?) relationship, if any, to an
action’s being important to a person and its being an exercise of religion?
Perhaps that’s not where “importance” fits in the RFRA analysis, so I’ll ask
further questions.

Question 2: Wouldn’t any religiously motivated action, and not just religiously
motivated actions meeting various thresholds (e.g., central, mandated) be an
“exercise of religion” under RFRA?

Question 3: RFRA is triggered by “substantial” burden’s on a person’s exercise
of religion.  In the abstract I could see an argument that if there’s some
religiously motivated action a person is barred from engaging in, but that
action isn’t really important to her as a matter of religious belief, then
given all the religiously motivated things she could still do, there’s no
“substantial” burden on her exercise of religion-as-a-whole.  However, RLUIPA
defines “exercise of religion” to include “any exercise of religion …”
(emphasis added) not just “important exercises of religion.”  So this can’t be
the significance of the importance of a particular exercise, right?  (As I ask,
I’m reminded of Scalia’s “throwing rice at a wedding” contention from Smith.)

Question 4: Sterling wasn’t allowed to post her signs in the workplace.  She
could presumably have kept a note in her drawer, worn an engraved bracelet,
emblazoned it across her dashboard if she had a car, ….  Is the lack of
demonstrated importance of posting legible-to-other signs in her work area
somehow enough in light of these other places she could post her message enough
to convert a complete prohibition of engaging in a religiously motivated
practice (where she sought to) to be less than a “substantial” burden?

Question 5a: Or am I wrong on the facts to characterize her action as
“religiously motivated,” rather than just having “religious significance”?
Question 5b: If so, what is the distinction, exactly, and to what text of RFRA
should it matter?

David B. Cruz
Professor of Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
U.S.A.