Dear Remenkimi,

Does anyone know of a direct translation into Coptic of the word 'calendar'? I have only ever seen the word ‘year’ used in reference to the calendar, e.g. ]rompi `nrem`n,ymi “the Egyptian year”.  I have been told that according to an Arabic-Coptic Dictionary, the word metcwouten is supplied. However, Crum gives the definition of cwouten (371a) as “I. intr, be straight, upright, stretch; II. tr, straighten, stretch”.  Is metcwouten really accurate, as I have never seen an instance of it? Are there any more Egyptian words for ‘calendar’?

Thanks,

Ambrose.

Language school Hebrew language Russian language
Learn language Social science book

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS