Thanks for your thoughts picen].

Your idea that acilwn could have derived ultimately from the Persian word, which came into English as lazuli (lapis is Latin for stone) is intriguing. I can certainly see how the word could have been transmitted from the Persian lazhward into Arabic lazward then into Greek and subsequently Coptic via Latin lazulum just as it has done in European languages. Interestingly, all the major modern European languages that adopted the word dropped the initial l from the Latin word, leaving English azure, Spanish azul, Italian azzurro, French azur and German azurblau. Although there appears to be no trace of the Greek language having loaned this word (Greek κυανός   being equivalent to English azure), hypothetically if Greek speaking people had at one stage adopted the word into their vernacular, I think it would be fair to assume that they would also have dropped the initial l. If then these Greek speaking people had retained the medial l sound in the Latin lazulum, surviving in any European languages only through Spanish azul and replaced the Latin ending –um with the Greek –on (I’m not familiar with the grammar of either) then what is left is a word pronounced azulon. It is now not too difficult to see how azulon could have changed into Coptic acilwn (pronounced asilōn) either in its transmission into the native phonetics of Egypt or due to changes in the phonemes of the word at an antecedent stage.

Although in theory this etymology is possible, the absolute proof would be to find the Greek intermediate in attested literature. As I mentioned earlier, I have not been able to find this word in the Greek dictionaries that I have consulted, perhaps partly due to my unfamiliarity with the language. However, I think it is plausible that (i) the word was used in Greek for only a brief period of time and subsequently fell into disuse or perhaps more likely (ii) came into use among Greek speaking people in Egypt or any other Hellenised region rather than Greece itself and was ultimately adopted by Copts into their native language along with many other words having originated in the Greek language.

Perhaps someone familiar with the Greek of the first few centuries AD up to the 14th century, particularly in the locality of Egypt could shed some more light?

Ambrose.

Font used: CS Copto Manuscript

Source: Lapis lazuli, Wikipedia