On 2021-05-25 08:37:34, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2021 06:11:13 -0400
Allan Wind <[email protected]> wrote:

I would like to run remind (3.1.16) every day at 20:00 via and
have it tell me of me about any reminders that is coming up in the
next 24 hours.  Here is what I tried so far:

Remind is not really designed to show events over a time period that
includes parts of days.  Your best bet is to show events for today or
tomorrow, which you can do as follows:

   remind -t1 ~/.reminders

The "-t1" option causes Remind to pretend that every REM command in
your file has a "+1" delta specification.

Query two days and having to manually filter out 50% is not great for me. calendar & when share the same design, while khal does allow you to construct the query that I mentioned above. khal & when also has "yesterday", "today" and "tomorrow" as shortcuts which is quite convenient on the command line. One of the documents showed you to build short cuts via a `remind ... | remind -` pattern, but I could get that to work. An alias or shell function invocation of `date` invocation but still a little less elegant.

1. Includes reminders before 16:00 so it seems the time argument
is being ignored.

Correct.  Remind is day-oriented at heart.

What is the time argument used for then?  Just curious.

Also what is the "*rep" argument?  It doesn't
seem to be documented.

As per the man page:

   In addition, you can supply a repeat  parameter,  which  has  the  form
   *num.  This causes Remind to be run num times, with the date increment-
   ing on each iteration.  You may have to enclose the parameter in quotes
   to  avoid  shell expansion.  See the subsection "Repeated Execution" in
   the section "CALENDAR MODE" for more information.

Sure is. I missed it as it was 3 pages down (which makes perfectly now that you pointed it out), and search for \*rep doesn't locate the section.

I suggest you watch the Introduction to Remind video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SNgvsDvx7M

I watched it already but there is as lot to take in. Good job on it, also the man page is really good, even if I missed what I was looking for.

As a newbie, one of the things I looked for was how to repeating intervals (other than daily, weekly, monthly and yearly). I was
deep in the weeds before I figured out it was possible:

REM may 21 FROM may 21 2021 SATISFY [!((year(trigdate()) - 2021) % 3)] MSG ...

It might be a frequently enough use case (every two weeks aka one definition of biweekly, or quarterly) to cover or reference in the "PERIODIC REMINDERS" section.

The "Starting FROM TODAY" part of the algorithm is what confuses most
people.

Thanks for explaining that probably for the 1000th time.

To answer my own question, it's not a problem for the Father's Day example as it doesn't have an associated OMIT, so it generate
the reminder when processing that day (today) and no future rules
depend on it.

"Trash Collection" schedule is the killer app usage case or "hello world" for remind depending on how you look at it :-). The PR folk(s) at Skoll Software Consulting will have a field day with it.


/Allan
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to