On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 4:49 PM Tim Chase <[email protected]> wrote:
> The main difference seems to be that it outsources worring about > DST from the application layer or reminder-file layer to the OS > layer. So if you change OS settings for your timezone and locality, > you don't have to update anything in your reminder file(s). Or, > if laws change when DST occurs and your OS updates to the new laws, > you don't need to do anything to your reminder file(s). > > > > > This conversation actually created an idea in my mind. My kids aren't Linux users (disappointed!), but I've had a whole reminders setup for all of them that emails their reminders every day. It's why I wrote ical2rem.pl years ago, so I could take their Google Calendars and email them an agenda each day. Well, the kids have grown up and moved away. I've set up $Latitude, $Longitude and $Location so that their daily reminders tell them sunrise and sunset, etc....but then one of my boys moved to the Central Timezone, and I just realized I'm sending him the wrong times because my computer lives in ET. And I was sending the sunrise and sunset times for everyone for Cleveland Heights. When 2 of them live in Northern Michigan, and one in Boston. I see that "Remind doesn't have any support for timezones" so...my solution was to put a location file for each user as an INCLUDE, as so: SET $Latitude "44.968738" SET $Longitude "-93.278902" SET $Location "Minneapolis" #TZ America/Chicago Then my script that sends the reminders does (among other things): timezone=$(cat $d/location | grep TZ | sed -e 's/.*#TZ \(.*\)/\1/g') cat $ft | TZ=$timezone perl ~/git/ical2rem/ical2rem.pl --label "Online Calendar" --heading "PRIORITY 9999" --lead-time $t > $d/ical2rem TZ=$timezone /usr/bin/remind -q -iplain=1 $d/reminders ($ft is the contents of downloaded google calendars. $d is the directory with the person's reminders files) There's a lot more, but that's how I solved the "Users in timezones other than my OS timezone" problem.
_______________________________________________ Remind-fans mailing list [email protected] https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/
