On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 07:33:55 -0500
Tim Chase via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:
> However, recently they opted to cancel or shift it *forward* a week
> instead. In those occasions, it would be nice to have the deflecting
> SKIP/BEFORE/AFTER information associated with the OMIT instead, so
> I hoped I could do something like this (concocted) syntax
This is an interesting idea. I think we'd also need syntax in the REM
command that explicitly indicates we're taking BEFORE/AFTER/SKIP from the
OMIT setting, otherwise it could get confusing.
So something like:
OMIT ... BEFORE
OMIT ... AFTER
OMIT ... SKIP
REM ... ADJUST ...
where "ADJUST" means to adjust the before/after/skip according to the
OMIT setting. If anyone has a better word than ADJUST, I'm open to ideas.
Anyway, this does seem like a pretty good idea to me.
> I get that it's possible to have two conflicting OMITs like
> OMIT Jul 1 2023 SKIP MSG nah
> OMIT Jul 1 2023 AFTER MSG later
In that case, the second would overwrite the first. The real problem
comes from:
OMIT Jul 1 SKIP
OMIT Jul 1 2023 AFTER
in which case I think a reasonable resolution is to apply the keyword
associated with the most specific OMIT specification. So on Jul 1
2023 it would be AFTER, but on any other Jul 1 it would be SKIP.
So yeah. If/when I have time, I'll look into this. Thanks for the
suggestion! (We'll also need a companion to the isomitted() function
that can return the skip type, if any, associated with an omitted day.)
Oh darn... here's another problem:
OMIT Jul 1 AFTER
OMIT Jul 2 BEFORE
REM Jul 1 ADJUST MSG WTF???
So hmm... not sure... Maybe the first one is respected and the rest
ignored, so that'd trigger on July 3? But then REM JUL 2 ADJUST would
trigger on June 30th.
Regards,
Dianne.
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/