From: sledman11 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 10:57 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Static / desense problems

Looking for idea's on tracking down an intermittent static and
desense problem I am have with a 2 meter repeater.  The set up is as
follows - ge mastr II base, LMR 400 coax (about 50 ft) into a diamond
F23A antenna mounted on a chimney with 22' of black pipe mast.  The
location is the local firehouse which has a antenna mounted on a
tower about 70' feet away from the repeater antenna.  We also have a
220 Mhz, 4 element beam mounted on the back pipe mast about 12' under
the repeater antenna.  This is for echolink.  Have turned off the 220
Mhz link with no affect on the problem.  Have not been able to
determine a pattern to the problem (ie cold, wet windy etc).  When it
happens it can sometimes completely wipe out a signal that was full
quieting.  Have checked the antenna and all is tight, dry and no
problems that I can see visually.  Including the coil and capacitor
at the bottom of the antenna.  Thought about running jumpers between
the antenna mount, mast, 2 meter antenna and the 220 Mhz antenna so
all are at ground potential.  Do feel it is something outside that is
causing the problem and not the radio or duplexers.  Can create
static on a weak signal coming into the repeater by banging on the
mast.  All idea's welcome.

Thanks,

Don
WW2N