the installation of a single UHF repeater run on solar
> power at the site next summer. As such, I need the least amount of
> current drain on the receive radio as possible. I intend to run an
ARR
> GaAsFET (20ma), and a small repeater maker/controller (also 20 ma).

 Additionally, if anyone has experimented
> with one as a transmit only radio, have you been successful in
getting
> the thing to draw 0 until TX is required by disabling the receiver,
> etc.?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Tom, I run a Mastr II mobile converted to a 2 meters ham repeater on
solar power on top of a mountain in the Ozarks of Arkansas. I have
been around the circuit finding how I could get the current
requirements down. First, use some 6V cells like the 225 aH Trojan T-
105 batteries. Depending on your users, you will need anywhere fron
50W to 200W of charging panels. I found I needed 2 75w panels to keep
up a 12 watt output/16 watt input to duplexer repeater. Keep them in
full sunlight as much as possible. I importantly found that the 110 w
PA that used the 3 boards (driver, power amp, harmonic filter) can be
used best. I modified the unit to use only the modified driver board
fixed to run as the main PA and run wide open (25 watts) feeding the
harmonic filter then jumper around the T/R relay and unplug the coil
operating wires. I suggest that you keep it a local, low powered
machine to keep long winded users from exhausting the battery supply.
You might not want someone chatting while driving down the interstate
for 2 hours + on the cloudy days. You might also disable the A+ to
the audio amp but I find it useful when locally monitoring and by
keeping the vol all the way down and using the disc audio for the
NHRC2 controller, It doesn't save much anyway. You should be able to
apply these tactics to a Motorola in a similar fashion. I expect a
UHF to be more lossy and need more current than I require on my VHF
units. Hope this helps encourage you. It is neat to never depend on
the mains and not sweat lightning surges and strikes when the storms
roll in.