Adi,
    Syntors (SRA) are so cheep (I found several at Peoria hamfest for $3.00
each) that you could use easily two for a repeater. You may wish to check
out http://www.shout.net/~rieslabs/ . Roger Ries there has some unique
Syntor info. He recently converted three range III Syntors for us to 144.39
for APRS.
    He also has an adapter to use garden variety (2716, etc.) EPROM's in the
Syntor. He also has software to do your own if you have a generic EPROM
writer.
    He also has some interesting Micor conversion info.

73,
Al, K9SI