For ideas visit repeater-builder dot com web site, you may want to
contact a local 2 way radio shop to see if they have equipment on that
tower and about getting help with equipment and setting it up on your
pair. Most ham repeaters are made from 2 or 3 generation back commercial
radios that were removed from service when a fleet changed to the newer
radio system, when you get up a tower that far the best ones are crystal
controlled which provides good frequency stability. The antennas used on
repeaters are actually the opposite of typical ham radio uhf/vhf styles,
the repeater antennas are designed to fold the signal downwards rather
than upwards - this helps the local users as well as those in the
distance. Feedline losses will become dramatic at the 370-400 foot
length so hopefully the tower already has hardline you can connect onto
both ends, if you had a 100 watt unit with 6 db loss using some super
coax you would only have 25 watts at the top - good feedline is a must
on a tall tower. The duplexing cavities may not be enough if there is
other radio/s on the commercial 150-160 band nearby so be on the lookout
for other filters to help shut off those signals if there is already
equipment on site on high band. Autopatching controllers often start
around 6-650 but if all you need is the basic id and controller the
nhrc-2 makes a great project for the group and should take 4 or 5
classrom hours to complete. Once you aquire everything working on the
ground and do some off-tower testing it is a good idea to keep
everything locked inside one cabinet if possible. You may want to visit
ebay and look for a motorola micor or ge mastr2 radio section to do the
radio part, this will be the lowest cost part, most high band mobiles
sell for 45-95 bux - you will not need any of the factory options as
your controller that does the id function will also do the time-out
timer as well as hang time and courtesy tone. You will get some good
ideas about the radios themselves when you get the tour inside the 2way
radio shop and see the test equipment used to tune your circuits to the
correct frequency and check for spectral purity - this is where the
commercial radios shine head and shoulders above using any ham radio
radio pieces to make a repeater.

kg4ogn wrote:

>      Hello,
>   My name is Alexander and my callsign is KG4OGN. I am the president
> of the Springstead High School Amateur Radio Club KG4VJS. My club is
> trying to put up a 2 meter repeater. So far we have our coordination
> {147.075+} and a spot atop a 350 foot tower. We are in need of a
> complete repeater so if anyone has anything just sitting around they
> want to get rid of please let me know. Please do note that this is
> for a high school radio club and is being funded my high schoolers so
> if you could possibly cut us a deal on the price it would really
> help! Thanks so much and 73 My e-mail address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                                      Alexander KG4OGN
>                                      President/Founder
>                                      SHSARC  ~  KG4VJS

73...Clark Beckman N8PZD