Well you have seen the obvious weaker mechanical construction which can
still work well with a side arm made from sch80 electrical pvc tubing,
however the power is combined power not per band but you should still
have survived if the antenna was held rigid and you were sure it was dry
inside. I reworked one of these that came out of service and found a 2pf
cap in the base which was very corroded with green slime, copper oxide -
I replaced the capacitor using silver bearing plumbers solder, and
continued thru the antenna resoldering everything and cleaning the
joints as they cooled - then fabricated spiders from rg-213 dielectric
as the foam installed by diamond was holding a lot of moisture - the
antenna went onto a 120 foot tower with a side arm and about 2/3 up
another brace and is being used today. I would be cautious of
overpowering the antenna, the club that uses it has a 25 watt uhf and 50
watt 2 mtr machine going into it, with your power levels it should but
for how long? The innermod game is just part of operating a repeater in
a high rf environment, we all find it and find ways to filter it out - I
doubt if any glass antenna will work better than another unless single
band, it seems the shunt to ground antennas are less prone to innermod,
but they can only shunt one band at a time.

--
73...Clark Beckman N8PZD

Pursuant to U.S. Code, title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, ß227,
"Any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address
is subject to a download and archival fee of $500.00 U.S.".
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: