It's very disappointing to me reading most
of the replies to Kevin's request for help
repairing his Spectrum Repeater.  Most of
you would rather fire off wise cracks about
Spectrum equipment than help him out.

While Spectrum seems to be very corneous
rectum about customer service, their products
do work for the most part, when properly set
up and cared for. It's not rocket science to
research and improve even the most basic
circuits.

Most of you appear to have never seen a VHF
Engineering Receiver, early repeater boards
from 60's and 70's. This would include the
famous Clegg 220 repeater made from a split
radio. Early repeater layouts are where many
of us "cut our teeth" and learned how to make
these less than perfect circuits perform as
best possible.

I've got quite a bit of Spectrum equipment;
their more recent receivers are pretty nice.
Their transmitters are a mixed bag, but every
one I have seems to work as expected for what
each circuit is.

So Kevin, first off… I probably have the manual
for the unit you have, would be willing to
work with you off the list to keep the "know
it all's" from laughing too hard. The temperature
problem you report is not that uncommon from
the type of layout installed in your unit, not
specific to the Spectrum Brand. The early 90's
unit I have similar to yours has never moved
more than 300 Hz since I bought it.

There's probably no reason your unit can't be
made to operate well.

Cheers

skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com