We have tried stuffing a Diamond X-500 inside a Stationmaster radome
but didn't have much luck.  Never could get a good match no matter
how we tried to decouple the feedline.

The reason commercial manufactures don't make dual banders is because
they don't always work well electrically.  Dual banders use small
disc capacitors in series with the feed, sometimes series and shunt,
which can produce intermod due to capacitors breaking down under high
power conditions.  Even if you did get an X-500 or other
Comet/Diamond crap into a big radome, the power ratings are 200 watts
PEP if you read the fine print..  which means about 75 watts combined
on FM..  they work fine for the casual ham who wants a nice yuppie
antenna in the back yard.  Some people have excellent success with
them..  some dont.  I am running an X-500HNA at 160 feet for a low
powered UHF repeater, and a packet station on VHF.  When the ice came
through NC the past few days, the thing wouldn't have lasted over 20
MPH if the wind blew.

Additional commentary at:

http://www.w4dex.com/kc4fwc/sixtytwo.htm

In conclusion, you probably won't find a dual band antenna that will
meet your needs if you're running something in a remote area.
Another problem is, even if you support the antennas when side
mounting them 2 and 3 times, the ground radials will break off from
birds or ice falling from up the tower (if you live in such an area)

73, KC4FWC

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Daron J. Wilson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone tried stuffing one of the ham dual banders inside a good
radome
> like an old Sinclair or DB products antenna that was bad?  I was
> thinking of gutting one of the old bad ones I have, cutting
Styrofoam or
> something to keep the antenna in the middle of the radome and
stuffing
> it back inside there for protection.  I'm assuming that the failures
> with the comet/diamond type are physical in nature.
>
> Daron N7HQR

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: