Enviado: Thursday, March 11, 2004 10:24 AM
Asunto: [Repeater-Builder] 440 - 450 Low in High Out Repeaters

Skipp,

You made a comment about your local 440 Amateur repeaters using the High
in and Low out plan and by doing this you suggest that your area in
California is a "trend setter". I thought that I would share some
information about the logic that went into our band planning and actions
here in Utah.

In Utah and neighboring States, our 440-450 repeaters use low in and
high out. Most of our long standing repeaters chose this plan because
they were co-located on mountain top radio sites  with commercial
equipment. The commercial repeaters transmitted in the 450-455 Mhz band.

As an example, we did not want to have our amateur 449.500 Mhz receiver
next to a  450.250 Mhz transmitter that was used by the local TV
stations remote pickup broadcast repeater. Our our antennas were
restricted to have only 40 ft or less horizontal separation from each
other. The desense would have been difficult and expensive to cure with
only 750 khz of frequency separation between the transmitter and
receiver at 450 Mhz.

We chose to put our receiver inputs low in and by using the 444.500 Mhz
frequency to receive, we gained 5 more megahertz of frequency isolation
from the commercial transmitters. We still have to use bandpass type
duplexers with band reject on our repeater to co-exist with the
commercial transmitters. Yes, we do have a dual isolator in our
transmitter output to the duplexer to keep the IM products down to
acceptable levels..

This is only one of several examples I could show you as to why Utah
chose the Low in and Hi Out Plan for our 440 Repeaters.

Maybe you do not have this kind of problem in your local area. I'm sure
that's one of the reasons why the band plan is different in other parts
of the country.

On our 420-435 Mhz band, we have links that use a 10 Mhz or wider split.
Some links use the 5 Mhz split. We chose this because this lowers the
cost of Duplexers and Cavity filters.

We planned our 420-450 amateur band frequencies to work the best in our
local RF environment without having costly solutions.

John, K7JL
Utah VHF Society
http://www.ussc.com/~uvhfs/
http://www.ussc.com/~uvhfs/frqcoord.html