At 09:04 PM 3/21/04 +0000, you wrote:

>I have a motorola Motrac Radio, can anyone tell me if this unit can
>be converted to use as a repeater, and what is needed for the
>crystals.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  What could be
>used for a simple controller with little to no hangtime?  Thanks.
>
>Mathew

The mobile Motracs are all over 30 years old and the insulation
on the internal wiring (at least on mine is starting) to flake off.
Given that situation I would not trust a Motrac in a mission-critical
environment.

The early Motracs - the HHTs used crystals in ovens.  I do not
know of anybody that is still making oven crystals.  The LHT series
and MHT series used channel elements - packaged transistorized
crystal oscillators.  The UHF LHTs and MHTs used a funny two-piece
element that is hard to find, but a one-piece blue element can be made
to work just fine by changing one resistor inside.

Also the heat sinks on the tubes are made for a 10%-30%
duty cycle - and the heat transfer characteristics is such that
they can't "suck" the heat off fast enough for repeat duty.

Mitreks make better low power low-duty-cycle repeaters if
a crystal based radio is OK....  You can get them for $20-50 each.
If you need a high duty cycle repeater go with a GE master-II.

And if you need synthesized, two Maxtracs can be cross-
connected into a dandy little low duty cycle repeater...

As to a controller, any of the current crop can be set for a low
hang time.  The cheapest is the NHRC kit.

Mike