From: "Daron J. Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Apr 9, 2004 8:38 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Lightning Protection

> It would be smart to run a awg4 solid/bare copper wire to the top from
> wide spread grounding rod array and use this with split bolts along
the
> way for your antenna/s for grounding, the flange or slip joints don't
> really do well after 5-8 years of oxidation and mechanical
coating/paint
> decay. You can be assured of a good system ground by following NEC
> article 250, one thing that is tough to understand about the code is
the
> adding of grounding spurs using split bolts to other racks along the
way
> down or up depending on which side you are looking from - the
grounding
> of the service entrance and grid must be exothermic meaning crimps
tubes
> which can not be backed off with wrenches, extension of the grid may
be
> done any way fashionable with 250, meaning fence doorways can be made
> flexible as desired but the main ground for the load center and the
top
> of the tower must never be allowed any adjustments or changes except
for
> additional conductor taps as needed.

Thanks, that is a good idea.  Just to clarify though, exothermic
requirements refer to cadweld type connections, the other requirements
are 'irreversible crimp' which refer to the sleeve or tube that is
crimped and cannot be taken off.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD          ) )
Telecom Manager               ( (
LH Morris Electric, Inc.       ) )
(541) 265-8067 office       _|****|  mmm!
(541) 265-7652 fax         ( |    |  coffee!
(541) 270-5886 cellular     \|    |
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    |____|