--- Jeff DePolo WN3A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess this begs the question - at that point,
> where you're doing
> preemphasis and modulation via math versus analog
> circuitry and synthesizing
> the modulated carrier, do you call it PM or
> preemphasized FM?  I would argue
> the latter since you could have response that
> includes DC.
>
>                                               --- Jeff
> Jeff DePolo WN3A - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Broadcast and Communications Consultant

Well thats kind of the point I'm trying to make. At
some point in DSP, audio processing, synthesis, etc-
all thrown into a bag and each manipulated with
numbers or programming, we sort of lose base with what
we are doing. We could create AM, FM, PM, SSB, PSK,
FSK, what have you. This has become a problem with the
FCC, and they now are proposing "software defined
radio" as a catchphrase. That makes sense, since
basically you have a mike and an ant jack, and the
programming or software inside make it digital,
analog, or some combination of both.

Nowadays, its probably not "fair" to include such
items, even though they are the future. Most of us in
the real world can't afford them yet, and have to rely
on Micors, MII, etc.

AFAIK, there haven't been any commercial two-way
radios built in the last 15 to 20 years that use PM. I
could be wrong, but I can't think of any.

Joe

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html