How many elements in your antenna? I found at least 8 elements are needed
before
the SWR is low.  I used a 1/4 wave stub instead of the open balun seen on
some designs and hobby brass to construct the elements. I found brass
easier to
use than coax for UHF. Check out Kevin's article. It's probably on the web
site.

Hope this helps, Joe