I'm running Echostation on my repeater using a Win 2000K Pro OS. Its
very stable, very reliable. I have built the interface into a DB-9
shell using a transistor, a resistor and a diode. Heck, the DB-9 and
the shell was even recycled so the whole cost of the interface is way
under $10. If one was to build from new parts, its all available from
radio shack.

Some things that I have added hardware wise:
COMPUTER
** I changed the computer AC power supply to a 12VDC computer power
supply ( the repeater and computer run off a 12VDC supply voltage with
battery and generator backup )
** I built it into an aluminium rack mount computer case. NICE
SHEILDING!
** I added ferrite on ALL the power leads internal and external, on all
the interface cables and all the audio leads incomming and outgoing
** The system is built with quality components not the generic
components. the most important item is the Motherboard. A bare bones
quality motherboard is key. DO NOT USE ONE THAT HAS MANY FEATURES BUILT
IN, IT SUCKS UP THE FREE RESOURCES. OF WHICH YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHARE
RESORCES WITH THIS APPLICATION! Find one that has very little option
built onto the board Like the ASUS P2E-B AT PII motherboard
** I recomend the use of a REAL sound Blaster sound card such as the
SoundBlaster 64AWE
** I also recomend doubling the recomended minimums, double the memory,
double the HD space, Double the CPU processor etc.
** and finally, I recomend the use of Windows 200K Pro using the NTFS
format. Extreemly stable for long term, unattended use.

RF
** A dedicated control channel with a DTMF decoder control circuit. Not
only will you have a seperate control channel if someone is playing
around and you need to shut down the repeater, you have control of
reseting the computer by adding a momentary switch the the DTMF decoder
output which is connected to the reset switch input of the computer.
** I have set my TX radio for a TOT of 5 minutes and a shorter hang
time. This allows the actual radio to stop TXing more quickly and reset
the TOT on the radio, BUT if it should so happen, if the software would
lock in TX, the radio would time out in 5 minutes and end its
emmissions till a reset could be done.

Audio
** If you want to customize your TX audio, you could either run an
external equalizer or you can use a software based equalizer to
customize your audio clairity.

** Interfacing the Echostation controller to other bands is very easy -
I have done just that just by using audio mixing circuits for the input
and output... that circuit again is all Radio Shack components.

I'm sure there is much more that can be done. I know I have some more
plans for additions to my systems - just need the time.

Dave Schmidt / N9NLU
Kewaskum, WI