On May 29, 2004, at 11:06 PM, Al Wolfe wrote:

>     You might check with some local CAP types and see what they
> suggest.
>     There are many options out there but converting an FM receiver to
> AM is
> going to be a stretch.

Well, I'm not CAP, but I normally would have recommended the device
that 18,000+ people use to listen for and hunt down ELT's in the
field... from www.ltronics.com.  The 'Elper.

But... they're in-between products right now.  The new one looks nice,
but it also looks expensive and complex, two things I'd prefer they
avoid.   The older 'Elpers work so well and never ever die... and a
single nine-volt battery lasts forever and a day...

Oh well...

Nate WY0X
(Who hunts with http://www.fredf.org -- just had one yesterday morning,
in fact... Piper Seneca sittin' on the ramp at APA.)