A few years, I don't think it will be that long.  The cell company that I sell for has already dumped more than 75% of thier analog lines, and plans are to maintain about 20 to 40 lines for emergency only services.  Accross the nation, there is suppose be 26 companies that is converting to the GSM service, and doing so they are removing the analog lines.  The communications are great for GSM so long as you are in distance of a tower, get out of that circle and your done.  There is no in between.

Definition of Analog

8 Track Tapes
Cassette - dang near
Steel Cars

How Times have changed

John Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You are sadly right, and on that day I will depend entirely on mobile 2-way radio for communications.
I'd rather hear a bit of static any day as opposed to bits of garbled digital mess.
It's frustrating to me that cell phones with ring tones, cameras and games are better sellers than quality audio.

They say the old brick phones (like mine) cause cancer. I say the tiny digital phones cause stress!
The carriers in my area already look at the analogue channels as secondary, unimportant lines.

John Clark - KI4AWK
Thomasville, GA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]