Kevin Berlen wrote:

> I am installing a Comm Spec SS-32 encoder in a Micor
> repeater. I am using a logic output from an S-Com 5K
> controller to key the ground connection to the encoder
> whenever the RX COR is active. I need to do this to
> be able to link into another system.
>
> My problem is when ever the encoder is keyed or
> unkeyed, it causes the TX to drift off frequency about
> +/- 900Hz. It apears that this is being casued by a cap
> charging/discharging. I have tried several different
> tone insertion points, always with the same result.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an
> alternate way to hook up the PL encoder? TIA
> and 73,
>
> Kevin, K9HX

You're right about the cap part, but it's an indication of a bad cap. If
you have another channel element, try putting it in and see if the
problem is still there. If not, change the xtal over to that element. If
it is still there, it could either be both elements are bad, or more
likely one of the caps in the exciter itself are bad.
If you're injecting tone where the PL encoder normally injects it, then
you're in the right place-don't change it. Although you COULD try
putting a resistor in series with the output of the decoder. Don't know
if that would help or not...

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL