Here is some horn tooting:

I worked in the Martin County High School long-term Red Cross shelter for
ARES. When I arrived I asked the director what methods of communication they
were using and he pointed to his "Nextel" - which was of course NOT
working - and said "they (the Red Cross) gave us these".

At that point in time there was no power, no telephones, no generators, and
no cooking facilities with over a thousand pounds of food spoiling. As far
as I know: Only the county deputy and myself had any communications working
at all - and we were the *only* way to contact the other county shelter and
out of area shelters which were mostly in the same condition.

In our area we have only two local stations (both same owners and AM). A
group of hams went to the stations and fixed the Studio -Transmitter link on
one, and the generator at the other. For a day after the storm, very little
and often inaccurate news was afforded by the West Palm stations regarding
Martin or St Lucie counties; which was where Frances eye came ashore. Thanks
to *HAMS* the local community had a local radio station and Emergency
Communications. All the FM stations in this area appear to be owned by Clear
Channel BTW- all they can do is re-broadcast audio from the TV stations that
are all 50 miles away. What a community service they are. No local
programming on FM.

I wish I could remember all the calls, but I just moved to Stuart, FL. Some
of the participants whose calls I remember: N4BG, W4LOU, KG4TEW, WB9SHT.
W4LOU, Lou, did the most work to get WSTU and WPSL back on the air again.
Bruce, WB9SHT even drove fuel to the generator for WSTU and started it back
up in the mornings. I know I am grateful. I am sure none of these guys do
anything for the recognition- but it should be recognized lest the FCC
remove our ability to perform these services in the future.

At this point in time *only* the stations that received the help have been
giving the hams any credit or recognition.

73

Bill Laakkonen