Steve,

The industry standard for Land Mobile Radio is TIA-603-B.  This standard
states that the maximum response time for CTCSS frequencies 100 Hz and
above shall be 250 ms.  Below 100 Hz, the maximum response time in
milliseconds is found by dividing 25,000 by the CTCSS frequency in Hz.
Therefore, a CTCSS frequency of 67 Hz must be decoded within 373 ms.
Note that this standard is based upon a CTCSS deviation of 500 Hz.

Modern receivers use digital signal processing, which may respond much
faster than either PLL or reed based schemes.  Personally, I like radios
to unmute for CTCSS in 150 ms or less, but I'm not going to choose a
brand or a model to achieve the quickest response time.  I ignore the
"specsmanship" game played by some decoder manufacturers; they know what
TIA-603-B requires, and they might state "better than" or "maximum" or
"typical" response times.  Who knows?  Most of them seem to work okay...

It is true that higher CTCSS tones decode quicker, but some some radios-
Amateur rigs in particular- have little or no high-pass filtering to
keep the tones out of the speaker audio, and the higher frequency tones
are more likely to make it through the receive audio chain and cause an
annoying buzz to be heard.  This effect can be minimized by keeping the
tone deviation within the 500-700 Hz range.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY