Mark,
I have ran into that problem my self and well the first thing is that..
when the radio is programmed you want to make sure that the TOT was set to max or OFF and allow the controller to take control of that function..of the TOT and second if those radios prob. a maxtrac, were used as a repeater and or even at 4-10watts they will still over a long peroid of TX'ing generate enough heat to send a signal to have the PA back it power down. and if that is the case and they are using a ext. amp  it might not excite the Ext amp and in turn have no Rf output..but you might hear it close to the site...

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 12:00 PM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Repeater cuts out during XMIT

I was at a club station and was on their freq. noted that there was problem, which someone would be talking for awhile and then suddenly the S-meter goes to 0 like they stopped transmitting, noted that they were checking over the RF amplifier with a meter, noted that they were also trying  different filters ? to keep the exciter to about 1 Watt, they were using a Motorola radio for the Transmitter cannot recall model, only Black case and recent programmable series ans Green LED Channel display.

I am guesing RF Amo problem either at Exciter or RF Amp.  Am I right in presuming the problem ?

MH